This is the second post on the ABB software CAP505 v 2.4 Relay product engineering tool. The first post how to install the CAP505 v2.4 software you will find in “1. Installing CAP505 V2.4 Relay product engineering tool“.
In this article I will specify the concept of creating a project and describe the whole process with pictures.
Concept of creating a project:
1. Creating a project object.
2. Inserting device in project (PLC REF543).
3. Defining PLC type, selecting application library.
4. Creating configuration using „Relay Configuration tool“: creating tasks, hardware channels, programs, function blocks, connection between them.
5. Compiling configuration. Every time when you compile a project configuration for the first time use „Build>Project“. When you need compile the configuration for the second time, use „MAKE“.
6. Setting parameters of function blocks using „Relay Setting Tool“.
7. Creating mimic (picture of HMI-human machine interface) using „Relay Mimic Editor“ tool.
8. Defining CAP505 and PC communication settings.
9. Downloading configuration and mimic to PLC using „Relay Download tool“.
10. Storing configuration and mimic to EEPROM (non-volatile memory).
11. Downloading settings (parameters of function blocks‘) to PLC using „Relay Setting Tool“.
12. Storing settings to EEPROM (non volatile memory).
You should pay attention that after downloading configuration to PLC:
1. You must use „Store“ command every time. If you don‘t do this, every time when PLC loses supply, the configuration will be deleted! So you must (by using „Store“ command) write configuration to PLC‘s EEPROM memory.
2. When you had changed configuration and you are downloading this changed configuration for the second time to PLC, all settings of function blocks will be reseted to manufacturer‘s settings! In this case you must re-download function blocks‘ settings using „Relay Setting Tool“ to PLC.
3. And after downloading settings you must store these settings (by using „Store“ command in „Relay Setting Tool“) to PLC‘S EEPROM memory. Otherwise after losing PLC supply, these setting will be deleting to manufacturer‘s defaults settings!
In this article I will create CAP505 project and will show you how to define the parameters of the main project. I will also describe the project configuration elements.
1. Run CAP505 v 2.4 Relay product engineering tool:
2. In „CAP505 – Master Design View“ window select „File>Organize Projects“:
3. Click „Create“:
4. In „Create Project“ window type project file, project names, and project description:
5. In „Project Export/Import“ window appears „CAP505/Subst“ – this is your currently created project:
6. In „CAP505 -Master Design View“ window (the main interface) select „File>Open“:
7. In „Open Project“ window select your recently created project („Subst“ in my case) and select „Open“:
8. You can see empty „Master Design View“ window:
9. Here I will create object structure tree. In „CAP505 – Master Design View“ window select „Edit>Object Properties“:
10. In „Project properties“ window type data as shown in picture:
11. Now „CAP505 -Master Design View“ window looks following:
12. Select „Edit>Insert Object“:
13. First you should to create catalog where the device (PLC REF543) will be included later. In „Add Project Object“ window choose “User Structure“ and press „Level-Project Structurization Item“:
14. In „Add level“ window type object‘s name (As a sample I typed „Incoming Cubicle 1“):
15. In „CAP505 -Master Design View“ window appears project object „Incoming Cubicle 1“:
16. Select „Incoming Cubicle 1“ and press „Edit>Insert“:
17. Now when you have created catalog (as a sample I typed „Incoming Cubicle 1“), you can insert device (PLC REF543). You can choose various devices in „Object type groups“ window in „Protection & Control“ catalog. In „Add Project Object“ window select „Protection & Control“. In „Object Types“ window select PLC type „REF54x-REF541/543/545 Feeder Terminal“,
and by pressing twice right mouse button open it.
18. In „New Object‘s Properties“ window type object name and title:
19. In „CAP505 – Master Design View“ window, in the object’s Tools the following tools appear:
- „Relay Download tool“ – this tool is used to download configuration and mimic to PLC.
- „Relay Setting Tool“ – here you can define parameters of function blocks and download them to PLC.
- „Relay Mimic Editor“ – this tool is used to draw HMI picture and later download it to PLC by using „Relay Download tool“.
- „Relay Configuration tool“- every time when you have created new project object, you should used this tool foremost.
20. AS I said in „concept of creating project“ (see beginning of this article) every project begins from creating configuration using „Relay Configuration tool“: select „Relay Configuration tool“:
Run „Relay Configuration Tool“ by double clicking on it with right mouse button. Object is not configured yet:
21. To configure the object select project object (as a sample I named it as „IC-1“) in „CAP505 – Master Design View“ window and press „Edit>Object Properties“:
22. In „General Object Attributes“ press „Attributes“:
23. In „IC-1-REF54x Configuration“ select SW library and Apl configuration as shown in picture:
24. Select again „Relay Configuration tool“:
In „Relay Configuration Tool log-in“ window type password „ABB“ or „abb“:
This password is default manufacturer‘s password.
23. A „Relay Configuration Tool“ window appears:
I have created project‘s configuration tree. The tree has elements: „Libraries“, „Data Types“, „Logical POUs“, „Physical Hardware“.
„Libraries“ are used to insert existing libraries. You will find here the manufacturer’s descriptions for PLC‘s hardware architecture, function, variables.
You don‘t need to create all this from scratch. This saves you a lot of time.
„Logical POUs“ are used to create configuration logics with FBD programming language. FBD is „Function Block Diagram“ programming language. This is industrial programming language of PLC‘s. Using this language you can create graphic function blocks, connections between them. This is simple programming language, many times simpler than high level programming languages such C, C++, JAVA and low level programming language ASSEMBLY.
In FBD programming language you don‘t need to write programming text with text editor. The variables can be declared automatically. It is enough to draw function blocks, to declare variables, to make connection between function blocks and all this to compile with command „Build Project“.
Compiling – this is as process there FBD program converts your written code to machine code. All this is done by the compiler. While compiling the compiler is checking for FBD program errors and if any errors appear, FBD program isn‘t converting to machine code, until in FBD program finds any existing errors. The compiler links to errors and shows where they are. It is very practical and convenient.
Machine code is sent to PLC, because PLC understands only machine code. Machine code – is sequence of binaries 0 and 1.
In „Physical Hardware“ catalog you can insert PLC type, for example REF543. Also here you can select analogue (currents, voltages) channels, types. Analogue channels – these channels are PLC‘s inputs, in which you can supply currents or voltages:
Here you can set analogue channels parameters:
These channels are described in manufacturer‘s (ABB) manual „Protection & Control Terminals Configuration Guideline 1MRS750745-MUM“.
You can set function of binaries inputs here (). Binaries inputs – are such PLC‘s inputs, which asserts either logical„1“, „0“, or can be pulse counters:
Here binary input PS1.BI1 is set to work as pulse counter.
Binary input PS1.BI2 is set to work as classical binary input.
In „Physical Hardware“ catalog you can also select measurements and circuit breaker‘s monitoring parameters.
In next article I’ll describe how to set communication settings.