VAMP40 relay is used mainly for feeders, motors, midlle voltage power transformers and capacitor banks protection. Relay has FBD logic (but in most cases you don‘t need FBD logic for simple scheme of feeders). Existing protection functions: current protections, undervoltage/overvoltage protections.
First generation of relay VAMP40 was produced by company VAMP from Finland. Some couple years ago Schneider-electric company bought VAMP.
In this article we are going to read existing configuration and protection settings from relay VAMP40.
The sequence of describing of article:
- VAMP40 hardware overview.
- VAMPSET software running.
- VAMPSET connection parameters setting, PC connection parameters setting in Windows XP operating system.
- VAMP40 relay‘s parameters setting.
- Reading existing configuration and protection settings from relay VAMP40 to PC by software VAMPSET.
- Sending configuration and protection settings to relay VAMP40 from PC by software VAMPSET.
- Setting internal data and time of VAMP40 relay.
- Disconnecting from VAMP40 relay.
- Saving readed configuration of VAMP40 to PC hard disk.
- Closing VAMPSET software.
- VAMP40 hardware overview. VAMP40 relay has 6 free programable LEDs:
By using buttons
you can explore online measurements, event list, setting of protections on HMI of VAMP40.
Front communication port on front panel of VAMP40:
This comunication port is used to connect VAMP40 to PC.
VAMP40 relay has 3 analogue currents measurement inputs (IL1, IL2, IL3), 2 zero sequence inputs (I01 and I02), 1 voltage analogue voltage measurement input (UL1/Ul2), 5 binary outputs (T1, T2, T3, T4, A1), internal fault of relay (IF) binary output, 2 binary inputs (DI1, DI2), 1 port of arc protection (X20), 1 communication port RS-232 on rear side of VAMP40 (to send signals from VAMP40 to SCADA):
Power supply of relay VAMP40 is 19-265 V DC/AC:
To connect PC to VAMP40 relay I‘m going to use cable shown in the picture:
To connect relays, PLCs designed by companies ABB, Siemens to PC usually you must buy special cables.
In VAMP40 case you can construct the cable by yourself! In VAMP40 relay‘s technical manual „VAMP40 Feeder and motor protection relay – technical description“ on page 159 (8.5.1 Pin assignments of communication ports) you can find scheme of connection of cable.
Female lead of the cable is used to connect to PC‘s com port:
Male lead of cable is used to connect to VAMP40 relay‘s communication front port (see also figure 3):
2. VAMPSET software running. By using VAMPSET software you can connect PC to VAMP40 relay.
There are many versions of VAMPSET software. I‘m going to use VAMSET v2.2.136 software version:
You can download software VAMPSET from Schneider-electric official web page. This software is distributed for free.
Select VAMPSET icon and run it by double click on left mouse button:
Default view of VAMPSET soft:
3. VAMPSET connection parameters‘ setting, PC connection parameters‘ setting in Windows operating system.
Select „Settings-Communicaton Settings..“:
I‘m going to choose settings as shown in figure:
I‘ve selected Port=COM1, because my computer’s com port is COM1. Press button „Apply“ to save settings.
I‘m going to check my PC‘s com port number. Select „MyComputer“ icon. By left mouse click on icon „MyComputer“ select „Poperties“:
On window „System Properties“ select „Hardware“. On window „Hardware“ select „Device manager“ button:
On window „Device Manager“ on option „Ports (COM1)“ we can see that com port number is 1:
Open port‘s (COM1) settings by double click on left mouse button:
Click on „Port Settings“ to open port settings. Define port‘s settings as shown in figure:
Press „File-Exit“ to exit from „Device Manager“ window:
Press „OK“ to exit from „System Properties“ window:
4. VAMP40 relay‘s communication parameters setting. By using „down/up“ buttons select „CONF“ on LCD:
By using button „to right“ select „CONF/DEVICE SETUP“ on LCD:
Baud rate of VAMP40 is 38400 bits per seconds. This rate is the same as in my PC and VAMPSET software defined baud rate. These baud rates must be all the same.
5. Reading existing configuration and protection settings from relay VAMP40 to PC by software VAMPSET.
On default VAMPSET window (see also figure 13) press button „Connect“:
Connecting to VAMP40 relay is in process:
In window „Device setup“ on option „Password“ enter password „0002“:
You can use two passwords: „0001“ and „0002“.
Password „0001“ is used in „operator“ mode. By using this password you can only read configuration and settings from relay, but you can‘t to change this configuration or settings. In this case you be able only read settings.
Password „0002“ brings you to „technical“ mode. In this mode you can change configuration or settings of relay VAMP40.
Press button „OK“ to begin read configuration and settings from relay VAMP40.
Reading configuration and settings of VAMP40 relay is completed:
On right window are settings of protections, settings of configuration, logical matrix settings, scale factors of current and voltage transformers and so on. On left window we can explore ,for example, detailed window of protection settings.
For example, by selecting option „Valid protection stages“ on the right window, we can see whiches current protections are enabled in configuration of VAMP40:
Current protections I>, I>> and I0> are enabled. Here marking of current protections is in IEC standart.
6. Sending configuration and protection settings to relay VAMP40 from PC by software VAMPSET.
We can send to VAMP40 relay corrected configuration in software VAMPSET .
Writing all settings to VAMP40:
Writing current view to VAMP40:
Writing only changed settings to VAMP40:
7. Setting internal data and time of VAMP40 relay.
It is very simple to set data and time of VAMP40 by using VAMPSET. First you should connect to VAMP40, and second – you need to press button “Sync time and date from computer” as shown in the figure:
After successfully setting data and time you will receive such message:
8. Disconnecting from VAMP40 relay. To save downloaded configuration you should first disconnect from VAMP40 relay by pressing button „Disconnect“ as shown in the figure:
9. Saving readed configuration of VAMP40 to PC hard disk.
Select „File-Save as“:
Type name of file:
10. Closing VAMPSET software.
After saving configuration file we can close VAMPSET software by selecting „File-exit“.
We‘ve learnt to read existing configuration and settings of protections from VAMP40 relay.