This is the first post in my course on CAP505 V2.4 Relay product engineering tool. In this particular article I will describe the installing process of the software CAP505 V2.4. If you have any questions regarding the text below, please leave a comment below. I will answer as detailed as I can.
CAP505 V2.4 Relay product engineering tool is used to configure ABB REF54x, REM54x, REJ52x, REC52x, REU52x, REF61x programmable logic controllers. In this description I will show you how to set up CAP505 software.
For more details, please read the manufacturer manual “CAP505 Installation and Commissioning Manual 1MRS751901-MEN”. You will find this manual after the installation of the CAP505 software is completed (please see particle 4 of this article). I installed this software on Windows XP operating system.
Here is the full installation divided in separate steps:
1. Insert CAP505 V2.4 Relay product engineering tool CD in CD-ROM. If you do not have one, please contact manufacturer ABB at site www.abb.com to purchase the CD.
2. Launch “CAP505 setup.exe” file:
3. In “Product License Agreement” window click YES:
4. In “CAP 505 Information” window click Next:
5. “CAP 505 Destination Drive” window. Define the installation destination by selecting the necessary folder from drop down menu.
6. In Product Installation window select all options and click start:
Please see below what every of these options mean:
- “Base System” – here are system files of CAP505 software
- “RED500 Support” are various PLCs of RED500 series: REF54x, REF610, REM610, REJ525 and others
- “Spacom” section has included various PLCs of Spacom series: SPAJ140, SPAC320 and others
- “DR Collector Tool” has included disturbance recorder software for analyzing oscillograms
- by using “IEC-1131 Libraries” and “Initial IEC-1131 Libraries” you can include various libraries in your project. You don’t need to create the project from scratch.
- “Documentation” provides information about software installation, PLC’s configuration, various CAP505 software tools:
Once you selected all of the options you need (all are recommended as you cannot add them afterwards), click “Start” button to start the installation. Now the installation of CAP505 V2.4 Relay product engineering tool should begin.
8. In “MicroSCADA User Password” window choose any password (f.e. 123), repeat the same password in the second field and select OK.
9. Click Close button (don’t select anything in “MicroSCADA Service Access Manager window” it isn’t necessary. If you need information on SCADA, please leave a comment):
10. During the installation a catalog following appears:
11. Now the software has been successfully installed:
12. Continue the installation with CAP505 V2.4 Relay product engineering tool ADD-on CD. There are various improvements and corrections of CAP505 software and libraries included on this ADD-ons CD (which was released at 2009-02-04) so I highly recommend to install this CD to upgrade the basic CAP505 software.
You should pay attention that if your CAP505 software version of is ver2.30, you must install first ADD-on CD for ver2.30 and then CD for ver2.40.
13. After final installation of ADD-on CD launch CAP505 program from the folder as shown below:
14. In “License Information” window type Customer, System ID, Authorization key data.
The data is on the packaging of the original CD:
I hope that helped.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I will try to help as much as I can.